Thursday 2 April 2020

Addis-dale

This 2019 release from Leeds based ATA Records is a bit of an enigma. I bought it on the strength of a single play of a single track and the quoted endorsement by Mulatu Astatke, the father of Ethiopian Jazz. I was lucky enough to catch him playing with the Heliocentrics a few years back, and anything that apparently prompts the great man to exclaim, "It's cool! This is great. Give me the cd, man!" had to be something special, right? 

And I do quite like this album. To be clear, I quite like it. There are some interesting ideas here, and the vibe overall is good, clearly drawing on Ethio-jazz among other inspirations. The band sounds tight, the arrangements are fine ... there's just something missing that I couldn't nail down at first. 

After several plays, I think it's just that the band never really seems to get out of third gear. With a couple of exceptions, the musicians feel restrained, as if they've been told to behave themselves. The overall feel is very safe, which is a shame because there are some quality players in the mix. 

"The Sorcerers are the Ethiopiques of the modern age," says Jazzman Gerald. Though I share his dislike of Kenny G, I can't agree with him on that statement. And I'm sorry, but I'm not picking up even the vaguest whimper of Moondog, whatever the promo copywriter says.

This is a pleasant enough album but, to me at least, it's way too polite. 

It lacks oomph. 

Maybe they're a whole different band live but, on this evidence, I'd have to say, "the Sorcerers are the Ethiopiques for birthday parties, weddings and bah-mitzvas."

Cool album cover though.

https://sorcerers.bandcamp.com/album/the-sorcerers

No comments:

Post a Comment

When The World Was One: Last Train Jazz Essentials #4

If you've got this far, you'll  probably  have worked out that I'm not much in favour of the obsessive labelling that many music...