Friday 16 March 2018

Spellbound

If all the column inches allotted to Yazz Ahmed’s second release on Naim records were laid end to end, they’d reach from here to her Bahrain birth place and back. Okay, so I just made that up, but La Saboteuse does seem to have caught the interest of professional and amateur critics alike, occupying acres of print and megabytes of cyberspace.

Considering this, finding something new to say about it is no easy task, but I feel compelled to write about it anyhow. Prior to hearing it, reviews I’d read universally piled on the acclaim. Despite my scepticism of extravagant praise, I have to say that it’s all fully deserved. If you haven’t heard this album, you really, really need to get hold of a copy.

On the strength of reviews, Yazz’s previous Finding My Way Home album and, of course Jazzy G’s recommendation, I caught her King’s Place septet gig last November. It became my highlight of a day crammed with stand-out London Jazz Festival performances. I joined the back of a long queue for signed copies of the album afterwards, and it’s been a frequent flyer on my Hi-Fi since.

The recording gets about as close to capturing the live vibe as a studio album can, but these aren’t brash, in-your-face tunes; they’re quietly seductive. I defy anyone to hear the beautiful Bloom, and not be beguiled. Yazz’s Bahraini-British influences shine through melodically and rhythmically with electronica adding additional atmospherics.  An unusual line-up (piano/keyboards, vibraphone, guitar, percussion, bass, drums, trumpet/flugel horn) leaves a surprising amount of space for improvisation, thanks to some inspired arrangements. The addition of Shabaka Hutchings’ bass clarinet provides the perfect counter to Yazz’s long, exquisite horn lines, and Martin France’s frenetic drumming somehow emphasises the subtlety of the overall sound.

This is an exotic, heady mix that insistently, inexorably reels you in. I put on La Saboteuse while working, only to find myself listening intently to its complex layers without realising I’d forgotten what I was supposed to be doing.

La Saboteuse casts a spell, and you’ll be glad you were caught in it. Highly recommended. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

When The World Was One: Last Train Jazz Essentials #4

If you've got this far, you'll  probably  have worked out that I'm not much in favour of the obsessive labelling that many music...